News by Dan Seifert on Sunday March 13, 2011.
|Sponsored links, if any, appear in green.|
Verizon Wireless has announced a program whereby customers can donate funds to help the Japanese earthquake and tsunami relief efforts by sending a text message from their mobile phone.
Donations can be made $10 at a time by sending a message to various short codes. The text message is free for Verizon Wireless customers and 100 percent of the $10 donation goes towards the relief efforts. If the customer is on a standard monthly plan, the $10 will be added to their next month's bill. Prepaid customers will have $10 deducted from their prepaid balance immediately upon sending the text message.
Below is a list of messages and short codes to send to donate to various relief organizations:
* ADRA Relief: text SUPPORT to 85944
* American Red Cross Relief: text REDCROSS to 90999
* Convoy of Hope: text TSUNAMI or SUNAMI to 5055
* GlobalGiving: text JAPAN to 50555
* International Medical Corps: text MED to 80888
* Mercy Corps: text MERCY to 25383
* Salvation Army: text JAPAN to 80888
* Save the Children Federation, Inc.: text JAPAN or TSUNAMI to 20222
* World Relief Corp. of National Association of Evangelicals: text WAVE to 50555
* World Vision, Inc.: text 4JAPAN or 4TSUNAMI to 20222
Dan is MobileBurn.com's Editor-in-Chief. Based in Poughkeepsie in New York, Dan can be found on Twitter as @DCSeifert.