The position has been filled.
MobileBurn.com is looking for a news editor.
This paid position is expected to be half-time, requiring roughly 20 hours of work per week. It is suitable for college students, retail workers, freelance writers, and similar people.
The primary responsibility of the chosen candidate will be to scan the morning news and press release sources, and to write stories for the MobileBurn.com website based on those news events when appropriate. Such stories will range from U.S.A. carrier news to litigations to new mobile phone and Bluetooth device announcements. Additionally, we would eventually hope that the person filling this position would be able to help us with mobile phone and Bluetooth headset reviews as well as attend press events and industry shows like CES and CTIA.
The core job requirements are as follows:
- The applicant must be a legal resident of and live within the 48 contiguous states of the U.S.A. No exceptions. Local (non-air) access to New York City or Las Vegas is a real plus.
- The applicant must be at least 18 years of age. No exceptions.
- The applicant must be a native English speaker with the ability to write both with style and technical merit. Applications that show a lack of mastery of the English language will be discarded.
- The applicant needs to have a solid hands-on background with various devices and mobile phone platforms. Overall technical knowledge of other sorts, such as Internet technologies and electronics, is also desireable.
- The applicant should have good GSM and CDMA coverage in their home/work area for being able to test devices.
Other desirable, though not required, abilities or traits:
- The ability to read, write, or speak Korean, Chinese, or Japanese.
- A formal, job-based writing background.
- Basic skills with photo editing software such as Photoshop.
- Basic HTML skills.
- The ability to edit works written by others.
- Basic photography skills.
Any person that wishes to be considered for this position will need to be reliable, committed, and posess the ability to work independently. Our writers also need to be able to follow our writing style guidelines, check their sources, and proof their own work to a reasonable extent. While the work schedule is mostly flexible, the position requires that at least some time at the start of most weekdays be spent dealing with the daily news. Some flexibility will also be required of the employee from time to time when we are attending trade shows, in that we will often need support "from the home office" for work we are doing elsewhere. As touched upon earlier, the ability of the candidate to be able to attend press events and multi-day trade shows, while not a requirement, makes their application all the more attractive to us.
The selected applicant will start employment on a 2 month trial basis that pays a mutually agreed-upon fee to the individual for each story approved and posted on the site. Payment can switch over to a fixed monthly salary at the successful conclusion of the trial period if all parties concerned agree.
Potential applicants should email a brief introduction letter along with a copy of their current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.