Product Launch by Andrew Kameka on Tuesday May 27, 2014.
|Sponsored links, if any, appear in green.|
LG today officially announced the G3, the follow-up to a reasonably successful smartphone that launched less than one year ago. However, the specs show that this phone has come a long way in a short time. The G3 is the first smartphone from a major manufacturer to feature a Quad HD display. The 5.5-inch screen has a 2560x1440 resolution of 538 pixels per inch. It also has a 2.5 GHz Snapdragon 801 processor with 2 or 3 GB of RAM and 16 or 32 GB of internal storage.
The camera has also been upgraded. It's still a 13-megapixel lens, but a new new one with improved Optical Image Stabilization Plus and a laser auto focus sensor that improves focus by being much faster and better capable of handling movement. In other words, it will be much faster at capturing a running child without blur. A dual LED flash with multiple tones is designed to capture more natural hues when taking photos, so there will be less of a bright blue tint you might see in some other cameras. There a 2.1-megapixel front-facing camera.
Anyone craving a new texture to the smartphone will be happy to know that the LG G3 has a metallic casing yet still maintains a relatively thin profile. The phone also includes buttons on the back of the device, as is now customary of LG handsets, a 1-watt speaker with "Boost Amp" for higher volume and bass in the rear speaker, a 3,000 mAh battery, and a revamped version of Android 4.4 with a redesigned version of LG's user experience.
LG G3 specs
The G3 will launch this summer and be available on all four major US carriers (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile).
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 (up to 2.5GHz Quad-Core)
- Display: 5.5-inch Quad HD IPS (2560 x 1440, 538ppi)
- Memory: 16/32GB eMMC ROM / 2/3GB DDR3 RAM / microSD slot (128GB max)
- Camera: Rear 13.0MP with OIS+ and Laser Auto Focus / Front 2.1MP
- Battery: 3,000mAh (removable)
- Operating System: Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- Size: 146.3 x 74.6 x 8.9mm
- Weight: 149g
- Network: 4G / LTE / HSPA+ 21 Mbps (3G)
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth Smart Ready (Apt-X), NFC, SlimPort, A-GPS/Glonass, USB 2.0
- Color: Metallic Black, Silk White, Shine Gold, Moon Violet, Burgundy Red
- Other: Smart Keyboard, Smart Notice, Knock Code, Guest Mode, etc.
Andrew is based in Miami, Florida.