News by Andrew Kameka on Friday December 06, 2013.
|Sponsored links, if any, appear in green.|
The HTC DROID DNA is getting an update to Android 4.2 Jelly Bean that will include several new features from Sense 5, including a long list of user interface improvements and new features like Blinkfeed. An HTC product executive says that the updates should start arriving shortly, though not everyone will see the update at the same time. Users can perform a quick check by going to the Settings > About phone menu.
As for what's new, Verizon has prepared a change log detailing the changes, most of which come courtesy of Sense-related tweaks. Changes include:
- People app has a new favorites tab, easier ways to add new contacts, and a Blinkfeed-like design showing status and updates.
- Calendar app now switches through view types - Month, Week, Day, Agenda - and calendars by tapping the overflow menus.
- Blinkfeed added to keep track of news stories and social media updates from chosen sources.
- Gallery has a new home page, photos are group by location or time, and Event shows video and photos from a location/time
- Video highlights auto generated when assigning photos and videos from an event. Themes and light editing supported.
- Events can be combined or split if gallery isn't accurate
- Drag down with two fingers to get to quick settings
Bug fixes and resolutions
- Picasa albums no longer appear in gallery
- Bluetooth performance improved
- Better navigation
- Default settings saved on device
- Talkback speech to text feature improved
- Fixed problem with Voicemail indicators
- Enhanced BUA+ contacts
- Multitasking has new grid display from Sense 5
- Hulu+ no longer displays green screen when HDMI plugged in
- Long duration video recordings using native camera
- Battery life improved so power isn't drained
- Fixed roaming issues on TELUS with *611
- Wi-fi performance enhanced; pop-up timer increased to 12 hours
Andrew is MobileBurn.com's managing editor. He is based in Miami, Florida.