Product Launch by Andrew Kameka on Wednesday October 09, 2013.
|Sponsored links, if any, appear in green.|
It's curved. Why? I'm not exactly sure, but Samsung has decided that the Samsung Galaxy Round, an Android 4.3 Jelly Bean device launching soon, will be the first smartphone with a curved display.
Most smartphones have a flat screen, but the Galaxy Round has a 5.7-inch Super AMOLED with a pronounced curve. The bent 1080p HD display enables some new software features like the Roll Effect, which displays notifications for time, date, and missed calls by tilting the phone towards one side. With the phone flat on its back while music plays, tilting will in any direction will go forward or backward in the playlist, and photos or video album information appears by tilting. Samsung says that it has also included smaller controls on one side of the screen to aid one-handed operation, something also seen with other devices like the Galaxy Note 3.
Aside from the curved display, which should also allow for a thinner screen that is less likely to crack when dropped, the Samsung Galaxy Round has powerful specs like a 2.3 GHz quad-core processor, 3GB of RAM, a 32GB internal and 64GB external storage option, a 13-megapixel camera, and Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. The 4G LTE device will launch first in South Korea today with Luxury Brown colors. Details about when the phone will launch in other colors or markets have not been announced. Specs for the device and an example of the Roll Effect are available below.
Galaxy Round specs
- 2.3 GHz quad-core processor
- 5.7" Full HD Super Flexible AMOLED
- Samsung Adapt Display, Samsung Adapt Sound Auto adjust touch sensitivity (Glove friendly)
- 32 GB + microSD (up to 64GB)
- 3GB RAM
- 13-megapixel autofocus with flash
- 2-megapixel front-facing camera
- 2,800 mAh battery
- Android 4.3 Jelly Bean software
- Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, WiFi Direct, BT 4.0 (BLE), USB 3.0, GPS+GLONASS, NFC
- Dimensions: 151.1 x 79.6 x 7.9mm (5.95 x 3.13 x 0.31in)
- Weight: 154g (5.43oz)
Andrew is based in Miami, Florida.