Product Launch by Andrew Kameka on Tuesday May 21, 2013.
|Sponsored links, if any, appear in green.|
The Cat brand is associated with tough, durable, lunch-pail-steel-resolve-kind-of-rugged products. That same mentality is being brought to the new Android-powered Cat B15. Launching today for customers looking to grab a rugged device that doesn't feel like the typical rugged device. The phone officially clocks in at 5.99 oz, making it a tad heavier than the 5.94-ounce Kyocera Torque. Surprisingly, it doesn't feel like it's heavier. Perhaps it's the material choice or just the design of the phone, but the Cat B15 feels light than it's own official weight suggests.
As any rugged phone should in modern times, the Cat B15 is dustproof and waterproof in up to 3.2 feet of water. Unlike most rugged phones, it's not yet tied to a carrier. The device is launching at an unlocked price of $349 and compatible with GSM carriers in the U.S. and Canada. Here's a list of specs hands-on video showcasing more of the device.
Cat B15 specs:
- Operating System: Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
- Processor: MediaTek MT6577 Dual 1GHz Cortex?-A9
- Size: 4.9 x 2.5 x 5.9 inches
- Weight: 5.99 oz
- Screen details: 4? WVGA 480x800 LCD, Capacitive Multi-touch, Gorilla glass, wet finger tracking
- Memory: 4GB storage + 1 GB
- Camera: 5.0 MP Rear, VGA Front
- Video: 720P recording 30 FPS Codecs H.263, H.264/AVC, mpeg4/SP, VP8
- Talk time: Up to 9 hours
- Standby: Up to 9.5 days
- Connections: microUSB, microSD 32GB, 3.5mm audio
- GPS: A-GPS mode
- Temperature Operational range: -4º F to 131º F
- Drop testing: 5.9 feet onto concrete
- IP rating: IP67 waterproof to 3.2 feet for 30 min; impervious to dust
Andrew is MobileBurn.com's managing editor. He is based in Miami, Florida.