Featured Mobileburn Video

Verizon: 94 percent of towers still operating after Hurricane Sandy, working non-stop to restore remaining 6 percent


News by Andrew Kameka on Thursday November 01, 2012.

verizon · carrier news · andrew kameka

Sponsored links, if any, appear in green.

Verizon Wireless issued a statement today stating that its wireless network has mostly remained online despite the destruction caused by Hurricane Sandy, and promised to work continuously until it restores service to all customers who have been affected. Verizon says that 94 percent of its towers from Maine to Virginia are currently operating. Many of the towers are still running thanks to permanent backup generators the company installed at most cell sites.

Power outages have limited Verizon's ability to fully restore its network, especially in New York City and northern New Jersey. Verizon reports that conditions have improved somewhat in the New York City metro area, but it still has work to do to deliver mobile connectivity to all customers affected by Hurricane Sandy. Here is Verizon's full statement:

"Our wireless network has performed well in the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. Due in large part to the billions of dollars of investment made to our Northeast Wireless Network, including the installation of permanent backup generators at most cell sites, more than 94% of our towers from Maine to Virginia are currently operational and supporting customers.

Our network teams continue round-the-clock restoration efforts for the sites that remain offline due to lack of connectivity or power - those predominantly in New York City and northern New Jersey. As power and connectivity conditions have improved over the last 24-hours, we have seen some improvement to wireless service in Lower Manhattan and elsewhere in the Metropolitan area.

We will continue to refuel permanent generators at cell sites until commercial power is restored, deploy additional portable generators as needed where possible and support customers by offering our open retail stores as a resource to recharge their devices. We appreciate our customers' patience as we work to restore 100% of our Network."

 
blog comments powered by Disqus

About the author

Andrew Kameka
Andrew is MobileBurn.com's managing editor. He is based in Miami, Florida.

Related Stories

CLOSE