News by Andrew Kameka on Friday September 28, 2012.
|Sponsored links, if any, appear in green.|
The Sony Xperia Tablet S debuted with a number of hardware and software advantages over the previously released Sony Tablet S, but Sony has issued a new update that brings some of those software features to the Tablet S. A new Android 4.0.3. update is now available to U.S users of the Sony Tablet S that offers several new apps for media management.
Users should be aware that the update removes some features, including the DLNA app, the Throw feature from the Gallery, and widgets from the Video and Music apps. Users can now access these features through the WALKMAN, Album, and Movies applications. Download the update by charging the phone to at least 75 percent and then pressing Settings > About tablet > System update.
New features include:
- Guest Mode, which allows others to use the tablet with predefined settings that determine which apps are accessible and changes the appearance of the tablet if it's used by a child, family member, or friend.
- WALKMAN, Album, and Movies apps that change the design and features of Sony's multimedia apps.
- Small Apps, which can create a mini browser, IR remote, calculator, voice record, or timer over other apps. It creates a floating app window to allow access to multiple features at once.
- Remote control, which adds six new keys that can be programmed to implement a specific command. Users can set it to turn-on a Blu-ray or play music just pressing a button.
- Watch Now, which is a new program guide that uses large photos of shows to illustrate what's on. It relies on popularity and user preferences to place more emphasis on what you're likely to watch, and includes options for posting to Facebook, Get Glue, or Twitter.
- Socialife, which is the renamed version of Social Feed Reader Cloud. It delivers news articles and videos from the user's social networking feeds.
Andrew is based in Miami, Florida.