News by Dan Seifert on Thursday July 26, 2012.
|Sponsored links, if any, appear in green.|
This week, Samsung released an update for the international version of the Galaxy S III smartphone that removed the phone's universal search functionality. The company had already done this on the U.S. versions of the phone, but this move was odd because it was in response to specific litigation by Apple in the U.S. and not internationally. According to TechRadar, Samsung has now said that the update for the international model was released by mistake, and that it will restore the functionality in the near future.
A Samsung spokesperson reportedly told TechRadar that "The most recent software upgrade for the Galaxy S III in the UK included the inadvertent removal of the universal search function. Samsung will provide the correct software upgrade within the next few days."
Users should see a notification for the update on their handsets soon, though Samsung did not provide a specific date for when it would become available. The universal search feature was the linchpin in Apple's lawsuit that got a successful ban on the Google Galaxy Nexus smartphone in the U.S. Samsung removed the feature from its Galaxy S III smartphone preemptively to avoid any potential bans on that particular device.
Dan is MobileBurn.com's Editor-in-Chief. Based in Poughkeepsie in New York, Dan can be found on Twitter as @DCSeifert.