News by Dan Seifert on Wednesday June 06, 2012.
|Sponsored links, if any, appear in green.|
Last week Apple filed a request with a court in California to add the Samsung Galaxy S III to the injunction request it filed for the Google Galaxy Nexus back in February. Essentially, Apple is trying to get the Galaxy S III blocked from sale in the U.S. before it even hits shelves.
Apple's request preceded the news this week that Samsung will launch the phone on five carriers in the U.S., with some getting it as soon as June 21. Apple's original injunction request against the Galaxy Nexus said that the phone infringed upon four of Apple's patents, including the data tapping patent that it has used against HTC in a number of lawsuits. Apple says that two of the patents are infringed upon by the Galaxy S III, and it is still investigating the other two to determine if they are also violated.
Apple's amended filing notes that it purchased the Galaxy S III in the UK, where it went on sale at the end of May. It also notes media reports that claim that Samsung has sold over 9 million pre-orders for the device, and that the Galaxy S III is one of "the most extensively preordered piece of consumer electronics in history."
Apple has requested that Samsung withhold the launch of the Galaxy S III in the U.S. until the court rules on the preliminary injunction request. Samsung replied on Monday saying that "Apple's pending Preliminary Injunction Motion will have no bearing on the release date of the Galaxy S III."via: FOSS Patents
Dan is MobileBurn.com's Editor-in-Chief. Based in Poughkeepsie in New York, Dan can be found on Twitter as @DCSeifert.